Body Shop vs. Restoration

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Body Shop vs. Restoration
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:14:05 -0800
Well, I'm about to take the plunge and get my '64 MGB bodywork
done--replacing rusted panels and repainting.  It looks like a complete
strip of the paint, some sill and fender metal replacement (rear panel
damage, rust--hope it isn't too bad under the part I can see!)  and paint.
I'm really tempted to wait until I've gotten a little summer driving in
before starting this project.  I'm not going to do much of the work
myself--the HOA gets testy about bodywork on the driveway.  I'll stick to
stripping and reinstalling parts.

I took the car around to two local body shops and one small specialty
British restorer for quotes, and it looks like $4000-5000 to all of them.
Some interesting things I learned were:

*I live in a small town/county--there aren't a lot of choices as far as
people who know British cars.
*Body shops are busiest in the winter, when people here in California are
skidding into each other and letting the insurance company sort it out.
*Body shops as a group don't like to do "restoration" work--not much
experience, hard to estimate up front.
*The restoration guy is busiest in the late winter and early spring, as
people get ready for the summer show season.
*Estimated time of completion from 1-2 months, which could be shortened
somewhat, depending on the depth of pocket.

I'm very much inclined to go to the British restoration guy, though I
haven't seen a lot of his work.  I like this approach because he knows MGs;
I like supporting people who have the skills and experience.

The down sides are:

*He's a one-man show--if he gets hit by a bus, or goes bankrupt
mid-project, bailing out could be an awful problem.
*He pretty much sticks to one paint type--PPG Deltron.  I don't know the
various paint systems, and would like to have another choice if it is
appropriate.  Don't know what his primer of choice is.

Big questions are:

*What kind of paint to use.

*Does anyone know good bodyshops or resrtorers in the San Jose-Monterey CA
area?

*What are the pitfalls of body restoration?

Thanks,

Chris Attias
'64 MGB