used wheels (was Re: Grassroots Motorsports)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: used wheels (was Re: Grassroots Motorsports)
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:54:33 -0800
Rick Jennings wrote:

>I agree. This is a really useful magazine. Real world information for
>people with real world wallets!
>I noticed Keith Wheeler, of this list, had a question about used wheels in
>the last issue. Seemed to me that the answear, from a guy that sells new
>wheels, was to be scared of used wheels.

Well, the answer is to be really scared of used racing wheels, and
somewhat scared of used street wheels.  And the answer was a bit more
general than I would like, but then you can't complain about free advice.
My concerns were more about the fact that those wheels are magnesium. They
were part of someone's aborted race project, then were put on a GT V-8
project that never got anywhere. My biggest question was how to strip and
clean them, because I knew standard wheel cleaners would attack the magnesium.

I'd trust these wheels more than I would the typical used Rostyle.
As far as used stock MG wheels go, check the lug seat, whether the
wheel is true, and use old wire wheels for garage art.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/