Head Gasket Orientation

To: mgsautoxteamnet <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head Gasket Orientation
From: Chris and Jodi Barnhart <barnhart@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:17:31 -0800
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild.  I am about to drop the head
back on when I notice that the head gasket doesn't indicate which side
is up or which way 'round is front.  The only marking is the
manufacturing date.  It can go either of two ways, the only difference I
see is the way the metal lip is formed around the cylinder cutouts. The
smooth unbroken metal lip is on the side opposite of the manufacturing
date. The side with the Manuf date has separate metal "bridges" between
the cylinders.  Either way 'round all the water ports, etc. match up.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Chris '69B
Geneseo, IL