More Moss -- Opinion --

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: More Moss -- Opinion --
From: Paul Washburn <walruzuma@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:52:07 -0800 (PST)
Hello:

I am a bit perplexed by all this talk of low quality from Moss. I
guess I would have to ask how much experience you all have with other
vendors (and restoration of other brands). As well as how accustomed
to modern car quality we all have become. Because quite frankly Moss
is probably better than average for this type of business. The parts
are of the same quality (as other brands/businesses) and the
courtesy/operation of the business is far superior.

They are in business to make money. You need parts, but don't want to
pay 'too much'. It is a frustrating but necessary balancing act that
takes its toll on the product. Unlike about a dozen or so other
vendors for other cars I could name, Moss at least takes
responsibility for the parts they sell. A refreshing change!

I am currently restoring a 67 BGT that needs quite alot. I ordered the
sills several years ago (1991) and never installed them. I decided
that now that I am restoring, and fenders for GT's are now available
(they weren't then!) that I would buy new ones. 2 choices. I took the
cheap for $250 a pop (VS $400 for the 'OE' style). Yeah its Taiwaneese
metal. And it took an extra 2 or 3 hours of prep than a 'perfect'
fender. It will last just as long as an original or 'better' fender
(with etch primer and undercoat and no winters) but will make the job
better in the end than fixing what I had. I spent $500 vs $800 and 3
hours. Billing myseld at $40 an hour I still ended up ahead. These
cars did not have Lexus seams from the factory! After attention to
prep, I am sure my car will be better aligned and 'straighter' than
anything that rolled out of Abington.

Reproduction parts ALWAYS seem of lesser quality than originals. Be it
a '57 Chevy, a '70 Cuda, a 78 911 or a '67 BGT the original parts were
better and more expensive. That is one of the reasons a car laden with
repro parts brings only 60-75 percent of what a perfect original (or
restored with original parts) car brings in pretty much anything but
'handcrafted' Ferrari!

Modern cars have tainted our tastes towards perfection. These cars
weren't perfect to begin with. Even with 'lesser than original' parts,
we make them better than new. Use them less. Garner more enjoyment.
Yet still wish for more.

                              JMHO,

                                 Paul