1980 B getting 12V at coil?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1980 B getting 12V at coil?
From: Steve Shoyer <steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:08:55 -0500
I replaced my stock coil with the Lucas sport coil, and I wanted to bypass
the resistive cable to get full voltage at the coil.  When I measured the
voltage at the coil with the car running, I got roughly 12V instead of the
6-9V I was expecting.  Does this make sense?  The car is a 1980 B with the
45DM4 distributor.  The wiring diagrams in the Haynes and Bentley manuals
both show the ballast resistor, resistive cable, and a white/light green
wire going to the coil.  I couldn't find any white/light green wires going
to the coil, just white on one side and white/black on the other.

The car seemed to start and run OK when I opened the spark plug gap to
.040", so I think I'm OK, but I don't know why.  Any ideas?

--Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB)