70 MGB GT - This Sad Speedo Song Won't End

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 MGB GT - This Sad Speedo Song Won't End
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:24:22 -0400
>Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:21:20 -0700
>From: "Gary Davis" <6GPRO.GDAVIS@ibr6gw82.gp.usbr.gov>
>To: mgs@autox.team.net
>Subject: 70 MGB GT - This Sad Speedo Song Won't End
>Sender: owner-mgs@autox.team.net
>
>Got the speedo in and its still not working.  I checked the unit before I
>installed it and the speedo works - I suspect I've trashed the right angle
>drive on the transmission.  With all of the talk about inferior parts, I'd
>like to know where would be the best place to acquire a decent right angle
>drive?  A used one (anyone have one?)?  A vendor?  I'm open to all
>suggestions.
>
>Thanks - Gary Davis

Gary -

Don't bother with an expensive angle drive!  Just buy a new cable of the
type used on overdrive Bs - I believe it's 72" long.  You can screw it
directly into the tranny and it is long enough to make a GENTLE 90-degree
curve up to the engine bay and the dash.  Ken Smith told me to do this
years ago and it's worked great ever since.  BTW, often an angle drive
breaks because of too much resistance downstream.  Make sure your cable is
lubricated - but not too much - else the grease works it's way into the
speedo, it quits again and you get one of those warrenty disclaimers from
the speedo shop.

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs