RE: obscure question - austin marina

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: obscure question - austin marina
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:18:45 -0600
John Trindle writes:

My B had this manifold with an HIF6 when I bought it.  It seemed to work
OK but was a bit gutless.  A single HIF6 has about 3/4 the inlet area of
dual HIF4s, if my math is even close.

I have wondered about how this works, and I guess this is as good a time as
any to leap in with my question.
It's my (limited) understanding that any given intake valve is only drawing
air from one of the two SU's in a dual set up with the stock manifold.
Given the path, down a carb throat, around the bend into the balance pipe,
and around another bend, into the opposite intake port, I can believe this.
That route must flow incredibly poorly. If I had a single, larger, SU on a
well-designed manifold, one where all the intake ports had a reasonably
straight shot to the air cleaner, could I expect to flow more air? Could I
expect higher intake charge velocity, since there are more cc's of air per
minute being sucked through this set-up? Would it fill my cylinders better?

Why is a dual carb set-up favored over a single larger carb?
The experts out there must have opinions on this.

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget
I don't plan on giving up my SU's, I'm just curious.