MGA hard to turn over

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA hard to turn over
From: PROBINSO <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:07:36 -0600
Hello everyone, I'm new to the list, and hope I can tap into this vast
expanse of knowledge.

Here's the long, short story:  I have a 1961 MGA 1600 that I've owned for 10
years.  the engine has maybe 6,000 miles on it since a full rebuild.  Ive
driven it from Lubbock to Dallas several times, and never had a problem.

My problem is that since I put it up for storage at my mothers home 70 miles
away, I rarely drive it.  When I go to start it, it turns over very slowly,
sometimes no more than 1 to 2 full revolutions.  I have always pulled the
plugs out, and spun the motor with the starter, until it shows oil pressure
on the gauge, before replacing the plugs and trying to start it.  When I
replace the plugs, it truns over VERYslowly, as though the starter is
straining to turn it.  Sometimes the jumper cables get very hot, or the
circuit breaker trips on my 200 amp booster.  I have repalced the starter
twice, with a "guaranteed" starter, but no luck.

If you get two healthy individuals, you can push it to a good roll, pop the
clutch in second, and it will buck once, this start like a champ!?  I've
been told that I may have a piec of crap starter, that the ground strap may
not be good (checked that), or that my static timing may be too far
advanced.  ANY IDEAS?

I love driving the car, and I know that I should drive it more, but its
become such an ordeal that I dread even trying to get it started, much less
count on it starting somewhere else down the road away from the house...

Any help would be appreciated.

Perry Robinson
Ft. Worth, TX