Crankcase pressures

To: "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crankcase pressures
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:09:14 -0500
Hello all,
    I finally got my MGB back today, but there's a slight problem...

    As I might have mentioned before, my oil consumption has gone up
since December on my 'B.  I thought that the crankcase ventilation
might be plugged, so I cleaned and changed hoses.  Today on my trip
back, things came to a head.

    I found that the crankcase pressures were blowing my oil filler
cap off and spewing oil all over my engine bay!  I have no idea why,
but here's the relevant run-down on what's been done to the car that
might give you knowledgeable folks a clue...

    *1974 MGB roadster with 80k on the engine
    *HIF intake replaced with an HS-4 intake, but the HIF's stayed
the same
    *Re-filled the carbon canister with 1 inch of carbon
    *Most emissions in place except for the gulp valve
    *No vacuum advance on the dizzy

    The car still burns very little oil.  At the most, there is a
small puff of blue smoke when I hit the throttle, but at no other
time.  The car leaks some oil, but not too much.  There is no oil in
the water or vice versa.  The car does not have a vented oil cap.

    What should I look for/change on this car?  Do I need to empty
the carbon canister like it was before?  Is there something plugged
somewhere?  Should I buy a vented valve cover?  Should I change the
intake back to the original HIF-style, or won't it make a
difference?

    Before I made the above-mentioned changes, I would get about 800
miles before I needed to add a quart of oil - now I have to add a
quart every 200 miles!  In case it means anything, the car still
runs very strong with no misses or power loss.  In fact, I got 30
mpg today!

    Anyway, I'd love to hear what you've got to say.  I need to
drive this car, and I can't afford to pay for a lot of oil!  Thanks!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/