RE: webers on B

To: Fred Talmadge <fredtal@phoenix.net>
Subject: RE: webers on B
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:10:29 -0800
SCCA racing required the original carbs.  FIA in Europe allowed homologated
Weber use.  Nowadays vintage racing clubs get ticklish on this subject.
My vintage MGB has the FIA approved 45DCOE on a period Derrington manifold.
The car is a replica of the FIA approved Sebring car, so the vintage race
tech nazis tend to leave it alone.  I have seen Midgets with 40DCOE carbs
hassled because the FIA approved a 45DCOE not the 40DCOE. (silly)

        I had a twin weber DCOE manifold for an MGB.  It seemed like a good
idea mainly because the accelerator pumps fire straight down the inlet
tracts rather than spraying the sides of the manifold.  I figured I could
run larger chokes and still get good low end atomisation and mixture spread.
Special Tuning in the UK still sells the manifold.  I sold mine to Bud
Sheldon when I bought a cross flow head.  I did not have enough spare Webers
to do both.
        But then i'm a Weber kid.  Always wanted one, never could afford it.
I'm looking forward to sticking two on a head.  Voobah  Voobah  Who cares if
an SU works better.  If i wanted efficiency I'd be driving a Toyota.

        The Marina with twin webers noted earlier may have been one of the
Factory rally cars.  I know that a 1.3L cars were run with the 8 port x flow
head offered by Special Tuning.  I think that I once saw a picture of a 1.8L
x flow head on a Marina rally car with twin webers.  I do have a picture in
front of me of the 1.8L car built for the '74 US rally team.  It ran a
single 45DCOE.  The car DNF both events entered with a broken gearbox.

Kelvin.