Re: Brake Master Cylinder

To: "BIDGOOD, ALAN" <BIDGOODA@pab27b.ssd.loral.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder
From: Scott Hower <howersl@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 06:11:12 -0800 (PST)
Alan,

The method recommended by the Bentley book is to shake
the cylinder whilst inverted until the white washer
falls out.  Yeah, right... maybe if the cylinder was
assembled yesterday and the planets are aligned.

The method recommended by L. Porter in the DIY Guide
to MBG restoration is to poke this white washer into
a million bits with an icepick.  Tedious work, and you risk scratching
the bore.  This is what I did when
I rebuilt mine.  It took awhile, but it did turn to
swiss cheese eventually.

Although I have to admit I've never tried it, I've
heard a faster option is to bend a coathanger into a
tiny hook, and file the end to a point.  Heat the
pointy hook with a propane torch until it is good and
hot and stuff it into the washer.  It should melt
the plastic.  Let it cool and pull it out.  Seems
like you will need at least two of these on opposite
sides to apply even pressure.

--Scott

--- "BIDGOOD, ALAN" <BIDGOODA@pab27b.ssd.loral.com> wrote:

> those who have performed a rebuild - how do you
> remove the White nylon bearing?

===
Scott Hower -> howersl@yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?