Re: Kingpins

To: "Eric Zambori" <eaz@snet.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Kingpins
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 07:37:07 -0800
Absolutel right, Eric! It is critical that the tube be able to turn freely
inside the bottom of the kingpin.

For a while, there was a bad batch of tubes on the market. They were so
short that they did not protrude from the end of the bushing. The test is to
assemble the tube into the bushing, then place the thrust washers inside the
seal supports and hold them over the ends of the tube, then clamp the set-up
between the jaws of a vise. If you can rotate the king pin around the
clamped tube, all is well. If it won't move, the tube is too short.

The correct fix is to find longer tubes - not always easy - but it does not
hurt anything to file the sides of the king pin where the bush is fitted so
that the tube can stick out far enough to turn freely.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center