Re: Twin 6's vs 12v

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Twin 6's vs 12v
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:12:17 -0800
You'll probably get a lot of replies, because I suspect a lot of us (most
of us?) are running a single 12V battery, for the reasons you mention
(simpler, cheaper, easier to find). It has nothing to do with the
alternator! You just find a 12V battery that is small enough to fit in
the well (easily found--I suggest getting one with the built-in handle)
and rearrange the battery cables appropriately. This means you put the
battery in the well that has the direct POS (+) cable from the front of
the car, and buy (or re-use, switching it from the other well) a ground
cable that goes from the battery NEG (-) post to the frame. Remove the
surplus cable (which connected the two wells), and there you are. Make
sure you also rig some kind of battery hold-down -- the stock kind
probably will no longer fit, and you don't want the battery posts
shorting to the metal cover when you go over a bump!

However, don't expect this to solve your battery drain problem. I'll let
the electrical engineers dish out the advice on that one. Good luck...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB