accelerator cable busted!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: accelerator cable busted!
From: Josef Kurtz <kurtz@helix.mgh.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:03:18 -0500 (EST)
greetings all!

it has been a while since i have written.  my interests have recently been
more focussed on the newly acquired 1975 East Coast Fiancee.  to my luck,
the 75 Fiancee and the 79B get along just great, and even appreciate each
other.

but his morning, Nikki (the 79B) had a small problem.  i started her up
just fine, but to my surprise, she held 2500rpm (a bit high even for
auto-choke).  but even more surprising what that the gas pedal never
returned.  bent down, found that the pedal could be pulled back, and wasnt
stuck.  to make long story short, traced problem to the accelerator cable.
it had frayed and busted from the (i dont know the name) of the little
throttle lever (opposite the end with the spring attached).  so, i propped
the throttle open a bit so i could drive it home (kinda fun trying to
drive at a steady 2500 rpm).

my question, oh wonderful listers, is how easy is it to order the
accerlator cable from victoria british and replace the frayed one?  it
looks like it comes as a braided wire in the plastic guide tubing.  is it
easy to snake it through the bulkhead and attached it to the gas peddle?
do i need to also order the little cable clips (number 9 in VB) or the
guide cable and seal guide (numbers 2 and 3 in VB)?  is there a trick to
doing this?

i would like to order the stuff so i could do the work this weekend.

thanks for all of the advice in advance!

joey

Josef Kurtz
                                        jkurtz@alum.mit.edu
PhD Candidate in 200?                   kurtz@helix.mgh.harvard.edu
Program in Immunology                   1979 MGB:  Nikki
Harvard Medical School                  "Safety Fast!"