Captive nuts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Captive nuts
From: Steve Shoyer <steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:47:19 -0500
While replacing the splash panel on my car, I snapped the heads off the
bolts holding them in place.  I tried to drill out the old bolts but was
not successful, so I drilled new holes (the new splash panels had more
holed than the car) and bolted it in place.  I'm sure that my method of
securing the nuts (duct tape) was not used at the factory.  How were the
nuts fastened?  I will probably have the same problem when I do the other
side of the car, and I'd like to do it the right way.

--Steve