RE: Leak Thru Tappet Cover Bolt

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Leak Thru Tappet Cover Bolt
From: "Warren Pruitt" <wpruitt@home.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 14:25:05 -0500
Thanks to all who responded! Looks like I have got some shopping to do.
Maybe the Easter Bunny.....

Warren

>The part number of the specially shaped grommet is 12A 1358.

>Graham
>97 MGF
>Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
>gmccann@pcug.org.au
>Phone/Fax: +61 2 62889055

>It should have a rubber grommet/washer seal under the bolt head/washer.
>REasterby
>72 BGT orig own
>88XJ40

>Hi Warren,

>Both tappet covers are supposed to have a cup-shaped washer and a rubber
seal
>that fits inside the washer under the bolt.  If only the back cover doesn't
have
>one, that's probably because someone used the wrong gasket under the back
>cover.  The two gaskets aren't the same--the back one is about half as thin
as
>the front one.  Some gasket set manufacturers obviously don't know this
because
>they put two thick gaskets, whether rubber or cork, in their sets.

>I hope this solves your problem.

>Denise

>Also check make sure that the tappet cover itself is not bent in. It only
calls for the >max of six ft. pound on that bolt. If you put to much
pressure on it the seals squeeze >out around the cover or you dent in the
tappet cover causing a leak at the bolt. the >MGA did not have the rubber
seal that others have told you about nor the cupped >washer. So I add a
LITTLE silicone to the bolt. This should do the trick. The cork >gaskets
seem to be easier to seal in that they do not slide out as easy. The