Rear brake cylinders

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear brake cylinders
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:40:51 -0700
Continuing the recent theme of brake questions...

How are you supposed to bleed the rear brakes (66 B) when the bleed screw
is below the level of the brake line? The air just seems to stay trapped.
Took it to a shop (for once) and they couldn't improve the pedal a bit.
Still takes a triple-pump or it goes (slowly) to the floor.

It occurs to me that perhaps the cylinders are installed upside-down...
is this possible? None of the illustrations I can find (Bentley, Haynes,
Moss) actually show the bleed side of the backplate, or even of the
cylinder. I know there's a locating pin -- what I don't know is the
left/right symmetry of the backplates (it's raining so I'm not taking a
look right now).

BTW the m/c was just rebuilt and the hoses replaced. TIA

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149