RE: Original Equipment Radios NOW Requirement to Post to List

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Original Equipment Radios NOW Requirement to Post to List
From: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 07:22:31 -0500
Our server was off line for four days because of the virus. What a relief
from email. Unfortunately they saved it up and dumped four days worth in one
day. I deleted a number of digests, but the ones that were left took up 148
pages to print. Thanks to a utility called 4print I can put 4 pages on one
sheet of paper.

Now to the complaint. I suggest that no one post to the list unless they
have the following:
        Users Manual
        Owners Manual (One Bentley contains both)
        Moss and VB catalog (VB is great for cross referencing C parts)
        A J. C. Whitney catalog
        Whatever other catalogs you can get
        Membership in a national club for their technical advice and
        Have looked through the archive
        A good sense of humor.

I have seen many questions raised in the list that are answered in one of
the above. We could have reduced those 148 pages down to a dozen.  No wonder
cars fail when folks try to work on them without the proper information.

Now for the radio stuff. Its deja vue all over again. This comes up
regularly.

I too want a Radiomobile. I am a Ham and like to listen to short-wave. It
doesn't bother me that there is no FM. I picked up an old RS FM adapter for
a $1.00 at a hamfest. It works great with my original BMC radio. I have a
pile of posts I want to respond to, and I'll be visiting the Australian web
site that might have them. Probably too expensive as new. I hope to get to
England in the next few years (my wife want to walk Hadrian's wall), and see
if I can get a used one. There are two shops in the US that will fix old OEM
radios, one in PA, but I've lost the phone number.  Try Hemmings (you do
know abut Hemmings, don't you?) to see if they advertise. One did offer me
one that came from a Rolls for $600!

Cars were not shipped with radios and the radios that were installed here by
the dealers usually were Motorola, Automatic Electric, and Bendix. Motorola
and AE were big aftermarket suppliers at the time, and if you look inside
your radio you will probably find the "M" batlike logo on some of the parts.
One my radio there is a transistor on the outside with the logo.

Anyone who has been reading the Whitney catalog regularly (and I have been
doing so as far back as when they were Warshawsky), knows that there is a
device that allows older radios to be installed in new cars. It adapts 6V
and/or negative ground radios to positive ground cars. The only problem is
that they seem to appear and disappear from the catalog. The older one I
looked in didn't have it, but I'll bet if you call Whitney at 312 431-6102
and ask about one, they might have it. Get a catalog at the same time.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I'm replaying to a pet peeve and pages of
messages.

Jack