Re: Bent Bonnet (Hood)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bent Bonnet (Hood)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:51:04 -0700
You don't say, but it sounds like you have an aluminum bonnet (it being
so "light" and all). I would suspect that once stretched, there isn't
anything you can do to force the metal back into its original shape,
since you can't get an anvil behind that section to properly beat it out.
But take it up with an experienced panel beater -- they might have a
better idea.

I think you're lucky the bonnet didn't crease in half at the point that
it contacted the top edge of the windshield. I witnessed this once happen
to some friends while following in a support vehicle -- the bonnet blew
open on the highway (actually a 2-lane country road running down into a
canyon; no shoulder or guardrail), folded over the screen, and gave them
both a rap on the noggin. The pilot managed to stop in a straight line
(in the middle of the road, of course), and it was all I could do in the
'65 Fury wagon not to plow into him (tires smoking, etc). The safety
catch had torn completely free of the aluminum. We removed the bonnet,
tossed it into the back of the wagon, and carried on, bruised but unbowed.

Oddly, when I bought my '66 B, its bonnet had a sharp, horizontal crease,
which severely impacted its structural integrity (i.e. it flopped
appallingly when propped open). Apparently it had blown open at some
time, as well. I suspect this is relatively common, particularly with the
aluminum bonnets, because 1) they're more easily deformed (so the catch
becomes misaligned); 2) they're lighter; 3) the safety catch is merely
riveted to the aluminum, and pulls out instead of performing its function.

Anyway, my point is, if your bonnet is not a perfect fit, you had better
take precautions. Make sure the catch is properly aligned and secure.
Make sure the safety catch is also secure. What I did as a temporary
measure until I replaced my bonnet was to remove the safety catch and fit
a steel plate with blind nuts behind the aluminum section that the safety
catch then bolted to. You might also consider the "vintage look" leather
hold-down straps, or racing-style hood pins.

I now have a steel bonnet, which some blankety-blank in an SUV recently
smashed. I (or rather a burly pal) hammered on it enough to get it to
latch, and straightened out the safety catch. Just yesterday, on the
freeway, I noticed the latch had popped open and it was bouncing on the
safety catch. Today, I'm going out to drill a hole in the front edge of
the bonnet to give my bungee cord a good grip. I'm afraid if the steel
bonnet were to fly open, it might crack the windscreen. Of course, with
the traffic around here, that would be the least of my worries.

Sorry to run on, but I just wanted to stress that, while your bonnet
blowing open when parked is an annoyance, its blowing open when driving
could be serious. Safety fast!

Eric Erickson had this to say:

--

Max Heim