Re: Electronic Ignition

To: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 07:59:24 -0400

Carl French wrote:

> I know, I should be looking back in the archive but I was looking for a
> couple of quick answers. I have the chance to purchase a new electronic
> ignition system for my 67B for $90. Benefits, thoughts, ideas?
> Carl F

Get the Petronix. I've seen them for around $60.  It is a nice upgrade
and eliminates points and condenser from wear equation.  You will see
slightly better running, but very marginal.  No points bounce, but that
is a minor advantage, given the revving abilities of the tractor motor.
Before you do this, make sure the rest of your system is up to snuff.
Many times, people will upgrade this part of the ignition system, and
ignore items like coil, plugs, and wires.  Check the coil.  If it's
really old, you might consider replacement with a new coil.  The Sport
Coil is a nice bolt-in replacement, but there are others to choose
from.  Check those plug wires.  Is there corrosion at the terminals?
What about the resistance?  Look for corrosion at the distributor cap.
Any pitting on the inside terminals.  Rotor?

In my opinion, the cheapest, most effective UPGRADE you can perform is
to get a hotter coil, the Petronix breakerless point conversion, and
good plugs.  Install the items and run a .040 gap or larger.  This will
promote better burn of the fuel/air mixture.  If you're really into
ignition, then get a multi-strike ignition box, put your gap up to .060
or so, and let it rock.  It costs money, but this was one of the ways I
got the gas mileage to skyrocket in my '70 MGB.  From stock, almost new
ignition to the multi-strike box, I gained 2 mpg in city, and on one
highway trip I managed 36 mpg averaging 75 mph.  Still haven't been able
to duplicate that feat, and it may have been a fluke. :)

We're starting on the digital distributorless system this weekend.
Hopefully, with luck, we'll be seeing some product in the next few
weeks.

Take care
Jay

PS. for 1 extra HP, maybe, you can index your plugs
--
When you were born you cried
And the world rejoiced.