Re: Cheap spray guns, other paint advice.

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>,
Subject: Re: Cheap spray guns, other paint advice.
From: Scott Hower <howersl@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:20:59 -0700 (PDT)
A few other ideas:

- mist the floor with water to keep the dust down.
- use silicone/wax remover to get things CLEAN.
- put a cheap box fan in the window/door orifice to
exhaust the fumes (tape a furnace filter on it)
- a tyvek 'bunny suit' (the clean room type works
well if you can swipe/h/h/h borrow one.)
- a disposable painter's sock.
- lock the garage door/disconnect the opener.
- ship the dog/CAT/kids/SO somewhere else :-)

--Scott

--- Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Bill Eastman wrote:
>
> > Also, is there any other equipment I would need
> other than the gun, a
> > compressor, and a charcoal mask?
> >

> In line filters for the air line to be placed
> immediately before the
> gun.  Get ALL the moisture out of the system, or you
> may run into
> trouble.  We used a combination of the paint filter
> AND water trap to
> get the moisture out.  Another trick that I would
> like to try is use of
> an A/C condenser inline being cooled with ice.  That
> should get all the
> moisture out.
>
> Make sure you have a regulator on the compressor,
> but I imagine you
> figured this one out.
>
> You should also buy some tack rags for the body to
> ensure cleanliness.
> Plenty of sandpaper.  We've used grits ranging from
> 400-2000 grit.
>
> Bill, the HVLP is good for the paints you mention,
> but they can be
> problematic with the application of the clearcoats
> used in
> basecoat/clearcoat paints.  Most around my area use
> the conventional
> guns to shoot the clearcoat.
>
> If you have the space, build a small spray booth.
> Cleanliness is of
> utmost importance in engine work and painting.  We
> constructed ours from
> bisquene plastic and 99 cent 1x2s.
>
> I'm not going to preach to you about the use of a
> mask.  I will not
> insult your intelligence, and I assume you know what
> you need to do, and
> if not, your local paint supply can make
> recommendations.  Nuff said.
>
> Take care
> Jay
>
> --