Re: My humble opinion(long) on Bs, C, and TR6s

To: "chief bootknocker" <mowog77@theglobe.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My humble opinion(long) on Bs, C, and TR6s
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:40:20 -0400
>76 TR6 NonO/D

>The car looked excellent in Carmine red, started like it was new
>and went not much faster than my B. when it hit a bump in the
>road it rocked like a boat. It cornered like an El Dorado and in my
>opinion deflated my bubble.

I don't know how abused the TR6 that you rode in was, but I can say that
type of handling is definitly not a typical TR6 trait!  My TR6 has so little
body roll, it's thrilling.  Hit a bump and the car gitters, and at very high
speeds it'll cause you to jump left or right a bit... but it doesn't rock
like a boat.  Perhaps the car you rode in didn't have a front antisway bar.

>I had hoped it would be a faster car. It was only marginally faster
>and didn't come close to my Bs handling capabilities.

Again, I've had totally different experiences in my TR6.  You can easily
feel the extra power (versus the MGB) as you accelerate, I don't like
passing fast moving large trucks on the hi-way in an MGB... it's a snap in
my TR6.  (I also don't have Overdrive)  I often find myself doing more than
the posted speed limit in my TR6, can't say that I've done that in an MGB.

>My opinion: If you are like me (like the looks of a TR6 and want
>some speed) save yourself some money and buy a B!! Bs outhandle
>the Tr6 and are probably quicker off the line.

I disagree with all aspects of that statement.  The only advantage I think
the MGB wins on is the structure of it's body.  The monocoque body is far
superior to the body and chassis setup of the TR6, IMHO.  If you like the
feel of collapsing your suspension on the MGB when making a 130 degree turn
onto a hi-way onramp at 40mph then I'd said the MGB is for you.  I have yet
to try that in my TR6, but I have the feeling the rearend is gonna slide.

In my case the TR6 was also a better buy then finding an MGB for the same
price.  But I was extremely luckly in finding a TR6 owned by an older
gentleman that was selling it for a half of it's worth.

>My opinion: I want one.

What about the rice racer rockets?  You know the four door Hondas with F1
style wings and 18" wheels, and the car is lowered so that it scrapes the
ground? ;-)

>Conclusion: I love my 77 MGB!!!!

I like both the MGB and the TR6, and I also own one of each; I don't think
they are comparable.  The MGB is like an oversize go cart, it is has a very
high fun factor.  The TR6, I think, is a much more comfortable and serious
sportscar - but lacks the fun flavour of the MGB.  Just the general lines of
the TR6 are so agresive when compared to the MGB's slopes and curves.

--
Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR6