My humble opinion(long) on Bs, C, and TR6s

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: My humble opinion(long) on Bs, C, and TR6s
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:03:48 EDT
First, late single carb Bs with the low-spec engine are pathetically slow, so
I assume that your 77 has an upgraded engine, and perhaps suspension.

The C - lots of low down torque, but runs out of steam at around 4500-5000.
Suspension very badly needs a large front sway bar to control the tires
rolling in corners - the right part transforms the car.

The TR6 has other problems, but unless it was in poor tune, power isn't one
of them. They are acceptably quick, and certainly faster than any stock B and
fairly similar to a stock C, assuming that they are the North American spec
(a good injected one will run rings around a stock C). Their problem
(everything seems to have some problem) is the rear spring rates, which are
quite a bit too soft and allow squat on take off, which looks foolish and
makes it seem slower than it really is off the line. Suspension tuning will
make a lot of difference here. They also have a problem with rear axle
design, but one that isn't likely to bother you on the street. Yours also had
shot shocks, and maybe also trailing arm bushes - they don't bounce around
like that in good condition.

I'd have to say that the car that needs the least suspension work to make it
fun to drive and safe is the pre rubber lipped B, although tuning with these
pays off as well.

Bill S.