NO HEADLIGHTS (LUCAS - LORD OF DARKNESS)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: NO HEADLIGHTS (LUCAS - LORD OF DARKNESS)
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:56:04 +0000
Oh Lucas, Lord of Darkness (with desciple DPO by thy side) I hath
offended thee horribly and now, it seems, I shall be punished.

Funny, isn't it (ha ha ha) how when you pat yourself on the back for the
quick resolution of a problem, it seems that there will immediately be
an incident that brings you back to Earth with a THUD!

Driving at dusk, the first thing I noticed were the indicators seemingly
out... the panel light for either direction would just glow green... no
flashing nor any ticking from the flasher unit.  Pull in for fuel and by
this time it is getting dark so I turn on the headlights... no
headlights.

I spent 30 minutes playing with every wire in sight (by torchlight).
The RAA (roadside assistance guy) did the same... all to no avail.  I
gotta get home and this plus waiting time has taken TWO HOURS.  Oh dear
(if just one Tr**mph owner comes past and laughs at me I will kill
them)... on to the flatbed and home!!!!!!

Here is the checklist: No headlights except on high beam.  No
indicators. No tail lights. Front parking lights work.  Brake lights
work.  Reversing lights work.  Switches have power and work.  Car runs
OK (battery fully charged).

Indications of a bad earth there somewhere... but why the indicators,
tail lights and headlights (low beam)???  I am certain that some
methodical searching in the warm and comfortable and well lit surrounds
of my garage will find some very simple wiring breakage or plug that has
come undone (no fuses blown so no short).

Any thoughts on where I start with this???

Eric
'68MGB MkII

PS This certainly knocked the previously found confidence out of me!