MC questions-yes, still more of them

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MC questions-yes, still more of them
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:46:53 EDT
  A month ago I used a Moss kit to rebuild the dual circuit, non servo,
brake MC on my '72 GT.  It leaked, locked the front brakes and did not
apply the rear brakes.  Removed and rebuilt with a kit from Beck Arnley
(sp?), and installed the MC yesterday. The kits appeared to be identical.
This rebuild does not leak.
  But, the MC does not pump fluid out the back, for the rear brakes, this
time either.  WIth the line to the rear brakes disconnected at the MC, it
just won't pump fluid out. A syringe in the brass fitting for the rear
brakes will suck fluid down in the reservoir. The syringe will also push
fluid backwards through that fitting back up into the reservoir.
  I'm assuming at this point of frustration that pressure is not being
developed between the main cup #12 and the separating cup #7 sufficient
to move the secondary piston #6 enough to pump fluid to the rear brakes.
Is this likely?
  Is it possible that there is still a bubble in the area between the two
cups such that the front brakes will apply fine but the secondary piston
won't push fluid?  Wouldn't a defective secondary cup show bubbles or
some sort of fluid movement in the rear brake brass connector?
  For a device with two moving parts, this unit has certainly generated
enough frustration to make dragging one's left foot out the door a
considered  option for stopping the car.
  I sure would appreciate any suggestions for making this thing work.
Bob