Re: extra lights

To: "g.cook" <litfuse@triton.net>
Subject: Re: extra lights
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:08:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, g.cook wrote:

> My '80 B apparently has either a short or bad switch: the right turn
> indicator glows dimly and the right yellow tail light comes on whenever
> the high beams are activated.  Where is a good place to start poking
> around with my voltmeter?

Hmp?  My tail lights are red, and my turn indicators yellow.  But, this is
a '73B (all comments below relate to this model car).

Anyway, I'd suspect the high beam/indicator switch if it were my car.  Of
course, mine is broken (no high beams, except in pull-back-to-flash mode).

You can unplug the switch and do continuity testing without removing the
switch from the column.  If it checks out, ensure that all the grounds in
the headlights and front parking lights are good.

For extra credit, wire the taillight fixtures so that the panel lights and
parking lights come on whenever you press the brake pedal (switches off).
I fixed this one this morning <g>.

Other notes (on other threads):

1) I like my Maaco paint job a *lot* better than my Joe Blow's Paint Shop
one before it.  There are a few spots where the killer trees have
dissolved things (it was parked under trees for 20 months or so without
being washed).  But, the color and basic finish is still good after 2
years.  The other one faded rapidly.

2) I *do* have to watch the speedo in the B to keep from speeding.  Of
course, we have 65 and 55 limits around here, and I *have* been driving
the Spitfire for a month.  I felt ticketproof in that since it topped out
at about 60 mph.  I'm sure the TR6 is torquier than the B.

And, a help request... though it's sufficiently vague the listers may not
be able to.

I have a rattley noise up front, somewhere. OK, there are lot of rattley
noises, all over the car).  However, this one is particularly loud and
annoying... and intermittant.  However, when it is active, I can *always*
stop it by gently resting my foot on the clutch pedal.  Just enough to
take up the "freeplay" feel, without actually exerting much pressure.
However, the pedal itself doesn't feeel like it's vibrating.  When I let
up the rattle comes back, and doesn't go away until I am at a different
speed/power load.  When I'm cruising at a steady 55 mph or higher, the
noise starts, and 2 or 3 seconds later stops again, and after a pause
starts again, over and over.  It does *not* happen until I get up to
highway speed the first time during a run, and then will happen at any
speed (including idle while stopped) after that.

At first I thought it was a sticky lifter, but that wouldn't be affected
by the clutch pedal.   I've heard similar things with stuck rings, but
they would be accompanied by momentary power loss and smoke (also
unrelated to the clutch as far as I can tell).  I'm forced to consider
linkage... but why would wait until warmup?  Oy.

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock