Throwout bearing replacement

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Throwout bearing replacement
From: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:35:45 -0400 (EDT)
OK, I've been informed in private mail (presumeably to let me not feel
like such an idiot) that my rattle is the throwout bearing.  I can't think
of a single reason why that isn't true.

So....

Is there *any* way to replace it without hoisting the engine out?  See...
I don't have a garage, or engine hoist, or know anyone with one except the
guy who "helped' me install the clutch this last time... without new pilot
bearing or throwout bearing.  I'm also broke so am unable to just give it
to a garage and say "do it".  I really don't want to deal with the
"helper" for a while.

Is there any way to nudge the engine forward and then drop the tranny back
(I've seen this done on a Datsun truck)?  Maybe by.... <kaf>
disconnecting the driveshaft? <g>.

I'm sick of doing this half-assed, but I can't seem to afford to do it
fully-assed.

--
John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock