Re: Throwout bearing replacement

To: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Subject: Re: Throwout bearing replacement
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, John Trindle wrote:

> OK, I've been informed in private mail (presumeably to let me not feel
> like such an idiot) that my rattle is the throwout bearing.  I can't think
> of a single reason why that isn't true.
>
> So....
>
> Is there *any* way to replace it without hoisting the engine out?  See...
> I don't have a garage, or engine hoist, or know anyone with one except the
> guy who "helped' me install the clutch this last time... without new pilot
> bearing or throwout bearing.  I'm also broke so am unable to just give it
> to a garage and say "do it".  I really don't want to deal with the
> "helper" for a while.
>
> Is there any way to nudge the engine forward and then drop the tranny back
> (I've seen this done on a Datsun truck)?  Maybe by.... <kaf>
> disconnecting the driveshaft? <g>.
>
> I'm sick of doing this half-assed, but I can't seem to afford to do it
> fully-assed.
>
> --
> John M. Trindle | johnt@tsquare.com    | Tidewater Sports Car Club
> '73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire H Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock

        Yes it is possible, I have never done it but it is definetly
possible. I new someone who at times would do several clutches a week
because the word got out that he could do them so cheaply. He never
removed the engine just dropped the rear support and some how turnrd the
tranny so it would come out.
...Art>