Re: Adhesive

To: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Adhesive
From: Chris Rogers <TravelMW@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:27:01 -0500
If your new vinyl is heavy enough, the webbed spray pattern shouldn't be a
problem. Otherwise, use a contact adhesive that can be brushed on smoothly.
Be sure to sand the dash a bit and give it a good wipe down with solvent
before applying the new adhesive.
Wielding a 4 foot long piece of vinyl that is going to adhere at first touch
can be a very frustrating. Since initial placement is so critical with
contact adhesive, (one strike and you're out) if there is a product info
sheet available, or a tech service number listed on the can, you may want to
see if you can use a wet stick method, either one or two way. With one way,
the dash is coated and allowed to dry. The vinyl is then coated and placed
while the adhesive is still wet on the backing. This allows a little bit of
slide to get it placed exactly where you want it. Two way wet stick is
having both surfaces wet when the vinyl is placed. If wet sticking is not
possible, get some waxed paper from the kitchen and cut it to fit under the
vinyl. Cut two pieces, using the centerline of the dash as the dividing
point. Let one piece of the waxed paper overlap the other by a couple of
inches or so on the centerline seam.Cut it to follow the contour of the
leading edge, toward the windscreen, as close as possible. The trailing edge
is not as critical, it can be folded over the vinyl and held with
paperclips. This will give you something to hold when you pull the paper
out. Just make sure all of the contact coated vinyl is covered with waxed
paper. Lay the whole thing in position and get it aligned. Start in the
center, when everything is aligned perfectly, peel about 1-2 inches of the
waxed paper flap to one side and make the bond along the centerline, about
one or so inches wide. Flop one side of the vinyl back over the other and
continue to bond down small areas, working equal amounts from one side to
another. If the waxed paper gets in the way as you move along, carefully
slice off the excess with a razor knife. To ensure good bond along the
windscreen, use a wide putty knife drawn toward you to pull the possible
bubbles out. Rolling is the best way to ensure no bubbles, a spark plug
socket, layed flat and rolled with the flat of the hand, makes a nifty
roller. Always roll toward the unbonded edges to force out any bubbles. With
a little patience, and maybe an extra set of hands, you can get a perect
fit, stuck down where you want it, the first time. Sorry to ramble here, the
former adhesive salesman in me just has to get out now and then. Good luck
with it.