Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container?

To: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container?
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:33:32 EDT
Bill,
Actually, having the hole there is a good idea.  When the trans has the
correct amount of oil some dribbles out the hole, no guessing.  Car makers
don't make the car (even LBC's) to be serviced by the people who own them.  A
pro has a pump that squirts it right in.  (about now you are probably says SO
WHAT! :-)  well here is what.  A company called
STA-LUBE makes a pump that is designed to go into the small (pint? quart?)
bottles of various heavy oils that they sell.  Stuff like 90W 80-140W etc.
My suggestion is buy a bottle and pump and either service your rear axle
first or dump the contents and refill with the oil of your choice.  It will
take a few pumps to empty the bottle, but it is not messy and won't drip into
your eyes, and get all over your hands.  I've had one of these pumps and
bottles for years.
Rick Ewald
67 MGB
PS It works great for filling the early top fill trans also!