Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container?

To: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:01:57 EDT
Bill,
  The original design was to fill at the top, well forward in the
footwell.  It's ok for one to do at home, but the professionals didn't
like that it was such a job to reach and the possibility of an oil spill
on the carpets was so great. This side-fill design was probably less
expensive to manufacture too, since it needs just a tapped hole and plug,
vs a port in the tunnel, a cover, a hole in the gearbox and a dipstick
with a gasket.
  Since the pros use a pump device to move their oil, this side fill,
underneath, fill rig is easier for them to access while they are under
the car greasing it at the same time. Another advantage is that
overfilling results in the excess oil flowing back out the hole.
  So, to fill there oneself--a small drill-driven pump is handy to move
it, or, #2,  a  long tube that reaches up beside the car, equipped with a
funnel, into which one pours the oil, then waits and waits for it to move
(keep the oil inside the house for a day so it's warm and fluid).
 Bob