Re: Tach electrical help?

To: Lonn Howard <hoops@owt.com>
Subject: Re: Tach electrical help?
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:03:21 -0700
Word on the street is that Lonn Howard said:
> Just put the tach back in the dash yesterday and now when I turn the
> ignition to the run position it is pegged at 7000 RPM with the car not
> running.  I'm afraid to start it.  The connections are keyed so you
> can't hook it up wrong, and I haven't messed with the coil.  Any ideas
> what is happening?  Is my tach toast?

The tach operates by electrical pulses down the white wire coming from
the opening and closing of the points - its sounds like this connection
is stuck "hot" which could cause the tach to peg.  What would cause
that, I don't know.

That's my guess, anyway.  Got the Haynes manual?  Get familiar with your
wiring diagram :)

Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375