RE: Won't start. Was: Dead Coil?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Won't start. Was: Dead Coil?
From: "Jones, Mark" <MJones@ngl.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:41:36 -0300
I took a couple hours off this afternoon to work on the car.  I took the
distributor cap off and checked for spark at the points with the ignition on
and I did get a spark.  Good.  I found the nut on the post holding the
condenser wire and LT wire lose so I tightened it.  When putting the dizzy
cap back on I noticed the back fastener did not snap on properly, which also
reminded me that the back fastener came off too easily.  I think it was
never on properly in the first place and therefore not holding the
distributor cap on tightly.  Could the combination of these two things could
have lead to my quitting problem?  By the way the  distributor cap ( no
crack), rotor, and plug wires are quite new so I am not looking at them
being the problem yet.  So now the car seems to run smoother than ever.

I also replaced my fuel sender unit. Very easy to do and I also inspected
the inside of the tank, what I could see of it, and it looks very good, no
signs of rust.  I'm sure that my almost empty tank isn't helping my engine
running problems, but with a functional gauge, hopefully running out of gas
won't be happening.

Mark Jones
73 MGB GT