Won't start. Was: Dead Coil?

To: "'Paul Hunt'" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>,
Subject: Won't start. Was: Dead Coil?
From: "Jones, Mark" <MJones@ngl.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:12:33 -0300
Your right.  Now that I have read through the Haynes manual it is easier to
check the coil in the car as one of the steps in checking the ignition
system.

Maybe I should start from the beginning of the story:

Start the car Sunday afternoon as easily as normal.  Drive a mile and it
dies, the engine just quits.  I roll to a stop and try to start it.  It
cranks over fine but no fire.  I have fuel and I hear the pump running.  I
let is sit for about 5 minutes and then try starting it again.  The car
starts with a bit of extra cranking.  I drive another 500 ft and it quits
again.  I again try cranking it over with out luck.  I walk home to get the
truck and tow rope and return within about an hour.  I again try starting
the car and it does start but I need to give it full throttle to keep it
running.  I turn the car off and tow it home and there it sits.  It won't
start at all now.  I have checked to see that the carb is receiving fuel and
it is, but maybe it is not enough volume, I don't know.  My next step is to
follow the procedure in my Haynes manual to check the ignition system.  Does
anyone have any other suggestions?  Maybe an intermittent short?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mark