RE: Rear Springs

To: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Springs
From: Joe Short <buster_balz@operamail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:05:18 -0400
These are the same springs as I have on the rear of my car. I also got the
lowered front springs and rear lowering kit. That was about 10 years ago.
The rear springs have not dropped a bit. Not the slightest mm. With these
rear springs my car looks more like an MGB I sed to see at the local cruiser
hang out when i was a kid. But that car had huge drag type tires in the rear
and skinny litte tires up front. Of course it also had a 455CID Olds in front.
My point is that as time progresses, if the front springs begin to sag the
rears will stay put, increasing the rake of the car. It may not be too drastic
now but with time it will be. With the rear higher than the front, the front
has to do more work. The car's center of gravity is changed so it will tend to
understeer much more, the rear brakes won't be as effective, and more weight
is placed on the front springs. All of this will lead to the front springs
wearing out at an accelerated rate, causing the front to drop lower increasing
the rake of the car. Also, anything hanging off the fron t of the car, fog
lights or an airdam (you should see mine) will be made more vulnerable to
damage as these items will actually be lower than they would if the car were
level.
High on my to do list is replacement of those rear springs this year as my car
is finally on it's way out of the garage.