Re: Windshield side post seal

To: "Nicholas R. Hostettler" <nhostet@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield side post seal
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:34:05 -0600
>I've been following your adventure on the 79B with great interest.
>There is also a 79B in my garage, in approximately the same state of
>repair.
>
>I have been pondering how to attach the side post seals without damaging
>the seal.  How did you accomplish this feat?  Someone else was asking
>for help on this subject on the list a few days ago. Any help would be
>appreciated.
>
>Nick Hostettler

Well, I decided to try it without that aluminum strip inside.  One of them
was a little mangled anyway, and it looked to be just too much of a pain.
So, i just riveted the new retainers onto the frame, slid the new seals
into place, and cut them to length. If they want to slide around, I'll just
put some weatherstrip adhesive on the back side.  OK, so someday I'll be a
DPO.  :-)  I'll take that chance.  Oh, it did appear that the original
screws were installed through a small slit cut through the outer surface of
the seal.  The seals were completely broken down, but they were still
firmly attached to the car, so that system worked.  Only time will tell if
my fix does.

Calvin Krug