Re: Failed Voltage Regulator

To: "Eric Erickson" <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Failed Voltage Regulator
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:21:33 +0100
I think what Haynes might mean is there is no need for the
electro-mechanical cut-out and voltage/current regulator as used with the
dynamo.

The early alternators had an external regulator, on the later alternators it
is internal but they still have one, i.e. Haynes is misleading if not
actaully incorrect.  The Leyland Workshop Manual states that "The
construction of the 16ACR alternator is similar to the 16AC except that a
voltage regulator of micro-circuit construction is incorporated in the
slip-ring end casing".  It also calls the external regulator on the 16AC the
"control box" but this is just a hangover from the dynamo control box
terminology since Clausager states that the 16AC used a remote electronic
control unit on 1967/68 cars, later cars used the 16ACR, the 17ACR and
finally the 18ACR.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/