Failed Voltage Regulator

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Failed Voltage Regulator
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 23:13:57 +0000
OK... I have just had a partial meltdown (lots of blown globes and
holders and switches) with the cause stated as "voltage regulator
failed".  On the repair list from the auto-electrician they state: "4TR
voltage reg. = $45.00"

Now Haynes says "The alternator is provided with diodes which rectify
the alternating current produced, and also prevent reverse current
flow.  NO CUT-OUT OR CURRENT REGULATOR IS NEEDED" (my emphasis).

So, what have I got here... am I looking at the same things i.e. voltage
regulator / current regulator?  Have I had something fail that shouldn't
be there in the first place?  Forty five bucks is an expensive little
item and I just want to know a little more about it.

I was also thinking that these same guys "re-built" my alternator three
months ago... should this "regulator" have been part of the deal and
therefore should I really pay for its repair (and all the damage it
caused - we are talking hundreds of dollars of parts here) so soon?

Grrrrrr, if I could get ONE win I would be a happier person!

Eric
'68MGB MkII