beware the obvious......

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: beware the obvious......
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 20:17:12 EDT
Beautiful weekend here in CT - AND I found a couple of easy fixes to what
i thought were bigger problems....
The alternator on my 69 was making a pinging sound and the fan was out of
true - i suspected that the bearing had gone so bright and early saturday
i took it out, broke three knuckles proving that it wasnt just loose and
intended to put in one of the three spares i have lurking...... wouldnt
you believe it! of the three, not one had the right plug pattern!!!.....
i wandered off to a big parts place in Danbury which had a few but not
this particular plug pattern (God - did Lucas make two of anything the
same??)
So i went to my pal with the repair shop to see if he had anything lying
about - he didnt but he looked at the busted one and said the thread may
be stripped and it might be loose after all - Its amazing what an
air-impact wrench can do we got it apart, cleaned up the thread and back
together in about three minutes - by the afternoon it was a top-down
day......Pity the cars so dirty but you cant clean when you can drive!!

Sunday i took the GT to the swap meet at Bob Wantas in Milford - not a
lot of MG stuff (its a Tri***h club do) The GT has been running horribly
- using oil and giving off clouds under load - but chatting with Norm
Sippel he suggested the diaphragm in the PCV valve - guess
what......brittle and with a nice split! - fortunately Bob had one and it
really has made a huge difference - Bob reckons the car needs rings (and
hes yet to be wrong to my knowledge) but the trip home was much better
and used no oil that i could discern - So thanks to Norm for thinking of
it , Bob for having one, and to Bob Howard for the moral support!!!!
Goes to show you do get lucky sometimes (hear that Eric??)
Great weekend

So who's off to Moss on May 1st  then??

mike robson
69 roadster