stripping 77B update

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: stripping 77B update
From: "Proudfoot, Andrew" <proudfa@NAVCANADA.CA>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:57:00 -0400
Listers;
Thanks so far for all the advice with my current project. The 77 is just
about nude now, rear bumper & seats left to remove, not counting
changing the rostyles to an old set of rims and tires for the paintjob.
Bud Krueger gets the "how to remove paint overspray award for 99" ,
Bud's suggestion of Castrol SuperClean is doing the job, all be it
slowly. If there was a way to actually soak the body cowl moulding then
it would be easier, but I am using the scrub with a toothbrush, spend
lots of time at it technique. Some may think this is a real waste of
time, considering I have already spent enough on refreshments, ( to cure
that Castrol Superclean thirst) that I probably could have bought a
couple of new cowl mouldings but that would be to easy wouldn't it?
Actually its goes back to my 67 parts car, ever  since I bought that car
some ten years ago, this was something I always meant to do with it.
Sorta like a personal challenge.....
A fellow lister recently provided me with some posi-drive screwdriver
bits (thanks again Mark) and "My God, burn those Phillips
screwdrivers!!!!" :-)
Talk about a great improvement!! I was then able to remove the last
couple of screws that were giving me some trouble. When I asked for
posi-drive around here all I got was "Huh??" "Oh for an MG, not here".
Gonna have to make an unwritten law that no one sells a car without
providing the new owner with at least one posi-drive bit.
Parts are on order, original replacement panels as required and all new
body seals, fittings etc. Once my parts arrive, its off to the
bodyshop!!! Yee Ha!!!
Once the car gets to the shop I plan on removing all the latches
(doors/trunk/bonnet) and having them glass beaded, then replace after
the new paint. Any comments here? What does " Clausager" say about
latches? This would be original wouldn't it? Please note this won't be a
trailer or garage queen but, next to my daughter, it'll certainly be my
pride and joy. Without you guys (& gals) I never would be as far along
as I am today. Thanks again. When I go to the Bank to get my US money
order to pay for my parts I should have a bit left over for the "Fat
Chance Garage". I'll get another money order for MJB!!!
Body guy is going to strip all the old paint (about 8 coats, 4 Primrose,
4 Damask) and then use a high solids primer and some sort of expensive
paint that requires buffing after it hardens a week or so, name escapes
me at the moment.
Once again I can't thank the list enough, the pleasure this car & this
list brings to my life makes me wonder what I did before I got the car
or logged on the list. Any further comments, suggestions & advice
welcomed and appreciated.

Great cars, great hobby, great people.............
Safety Faster
Andy Proudfoot 77B
Gander, Nfld. Canada