Now PCV

To: Hans Duinhoven <H.Duinhoven@simac.nl>
Subject: Now PCV
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:26:11 -0700
Hans:

        PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation

        Under low vacuum conditions (such as when the throttle is open) the
PCV valve opens and allows blow-by and other noxious fumes that build up in
the crank case to be pulled into the intake manifold.  Under high vacuum
(such as idle) the valve stays closed (unless you really have bad blowby) so
that correct idle mixture is maintained.  So long as the valve is operating
correctly it is a "good" thing.  Venting the crank case of fumes keeps the
oil cleaner and makes the engine last longer.

Hope this helps.

Kelvin.