Scatter vs. Conventional Cams

To: MG Board <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scatter vs. Conventional Cams
From: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:30:30 -0800
All,
  This may get kind of technical but 'I need's to know'.  How does the
"Scatter Pattern Cam" work differently than the conventional cams?
Does anyone produce another type of grind that is better or worse than
either of these two types and if so what is it called?  Can I cam
an early 1500 engine with the same selections of cams that go in B
series engines generally?  I noticed that the Kent Cam catalog gives
specs based on a rocker ratio of 1.42:1 and I thought stock ratio was
1.3:1.......is this and nonevent in the selection?
Are all the big cam makers about the same in quality and product
performance or do you find enough difference in the specs that it should
be considered when selecting the proper cam.  My leanings are towards a
'fast road' or a 'rally' application.......any suggestions?  The springs
will be uprated and the rocker (though stock) will be in new condition.
Heads been modified moderately with
new valves, etc.
I appreciate the time for answering,
Gregg Baker