RE: Over consumption of fuel

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net' " <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Over consumption of fuel
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:41:25 -0700
I always figured Imperial, too, since I can get over 13 US gallons into
it when it's really empty...

...and I would concur that the float is a likely candidate.

One other possibility springs to mind. This happened to me once. I parked
a car overnight after a hot day with very little fuel left in the tank.
The next morning the gauge read higher, but soon it was back to empty.
When filling up, I could only get 8 gallons into a supposedly 18 gallon
tank. Looking under the car I saw the fuel tank was squished like a
deflated balloon! What happened was the vent had apparently become
clogged. The hot fuel vapor (which was filling the almost empty tank)
condensed as it cooled (it was parked outside on a chilly night),
creating a vacuum inside the tank, causing it to collapse due to air
pressure. I wasn't going to get very far on 8 gallons in my Barracuda, so
the next stop was the wrecking yard.

Anyway, if your tank takes a full fill-up, you're not having this
problem, at least.

Jones, Mark had this to say:

--

Max Heim