Re: Electrical Theory

To: rickhuber@home.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Theory
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 00:25:37 EDT
Rick,
OK Now I'll throw my $.02 in.
Yes, voltage is like electrical pressure (PSI) in your water system.  Current
flow (Amps) is like the amount of water that comes out of the tap (gallons
per minute).
You are correct that 12 volts flows through the circuit looking for a ground.
 In your example of a light bulb with a disconnected ground you are correct
that anywhere before the open circuit there would be 12 volts available.
This is a very handy piece of info to keep in mind the next time you are
trying to find where the dark lord put the open circuit.
Your comment about the lower voltage after the bulb is technically correct
but it kinda bothers me.  After the bulb in a single bulb circuit there
should be little to no voltage (less than two-tenths of a volt).
One thing to keep in mind is that the load(s) in the circuit use up all the
voltage.  If there is a single load it uses up all the voltage, if there is
second load in line with the first the two together use up all the voltage.
Before everybody hits the reply button and goes flame on saying that series
circuits aren't used on cars let me explain.
If you have a dim headlight caused by a loose ground the bad ground has
resistance which causes a voltage drop, which makes it in effect a resistor
in a series.  For example lets say the bad ground is causing a 4 volt drop.
The headlight is not getting 12 V like it is should because the bad ground is
using up 4 volts. 12 - 4 means that the bulb is running on 8 volts.
The same holds true for your brake switch.  Corrosion causes resistance which
causes a voltage drop, etc.
I hope this helps clear some of the fog.
Richard Ewald