Re: Help, My Seat's too High!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help, My Seat's too High!
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 00:34:27 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/99 5:09:45 PM !!!First Boot!!!, BobMGT@aol.com writes:

> I just got done re-doing the driver's seat on my 71 B. I used parts from
>  Moss: foams, diaphragm, and seat upholstery kit. I used a diaphragm
instead
>  of webbing because the original seat had a diaphragm. Now my seat is TOO
>  HIGH! My legs are pressing against the steering wheel. I can't drive the
car

>  this way! Before the renovation, I had a very comfortable fit. I'm only
5'8"

>  so it's not my physique that's the problem. The new parts don't look that
>  much different. But, I noticed the new foam is stiffer. Also the new
>  diaphragm is way, way, way tighter than the original one. It seems more
like

>  plastic than rubber and does not want to stretch. The little embedded
metal
>  bars that the hooks attach to bent into V's under the strain. Has anybody
>  else run into this problem? Does Moss have a Email address?
>
>  Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
>  EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
>  52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
>  71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336

solution) and I am on the road again. I re-attached the diaphram with two
hooks in series on two adjacent sides. I got the extra hooks from the old
diaphram. Also, I reused the old seat foam. It had some tears and was frayed
in places so I patched it up as well as I could with contact cement and duct
tape. I found that duct tape will stick to foam very well if you use 3M spray
adheasive on the foam first. I just hope the old foam holds up a while
longer.

Mike Robson suggested using the webbing instead of the diaphram, and shaving
1/2-3/4' off the bottom of the seat foams. This sounds like a better solution
to me and I'll try it next time.