Re: HS4 Flooding problem

To: "Jason" <endangered_cars@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: HS4 Flooding problem
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 12:40:23 -0700
I have been using this precise combination for 8-10 years with no
problems. I am assuming that since you recently rebuilt them that you
have the newer type floats with rigid nylon arms, that are adjusted with
washers (as you said). The height spec is the same as original. If you
don't have the manual for the earlier cars you can find it on the
websites that deal with SUs. I seem to recall it's something like 1/8th
inch from the rim of the bowl to the bottom of the arm (you slip a 1/8
drill bit into the gap). I believe I have one washer on mine to achieve
this height, but I haven't been in there for years.

I think one of the advantages of Grose-Jets is that they are less prone
to flooding, as they are less likely to become jammed open with crud. So
I would guess you have adjusted the floats too high, or have some other
problem (too high fuel pressure? do you have an aftermarket pump?). Do
your floats actually float? Test them in a bucket of gas (not water -- if
they are full of fuel they will float in water).

Good luck.

Jason had this to say:

--

Max Heim