Re: To Spare or not to Spare

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To Spare or not to Spare
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:40:52 -0700
Hmmmm... I did this once on a longish trip and got away with it. My next
trip someone drove a screw through a tire when it was parked on the
street overnight. Sunday morning, small town, 400 miles from home,
nearest open place to even buy a tire, much less fix one was 45 miles. As
it was there was only 15lbs in the spare so had to go slow until I found
an open service station.

Make sure your convoy buddies also have bolt-ons (or whatever you have),
and better ask them if they're pulling the same stunt, or you'll all feel
pretty stupid ("I thought YOU had a spare" "No, I assumed YOU had the
spare"). Some people have found space-saver spares that fit. Not an
option for wires.

Actually, this is probably a reasonable risk for steel wheel cars. When's
the last time you had a flat in your Honda, or your truck (for example)?
But tubed tires in wire wheels have so many ways to screw up, and are so
much more difficult to deal with for the average gas station mechanic ("I
don't think that'll fit on my machine..."), that I can't see risking it.
But I have been considering that specialty luggage in the Moss catalog
that straps down onto the boot lid without requiring a luggage rack, as a
way of dealing with the stowage situation.

SpuriousV8@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149