Re: gas tank removal 77B

To: Ray Whitley <rwhitley@nshpl.library.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: gas tank removal 77B
From: "Proudfoot, Andrew" <proudfa@NAVCANADA.CA>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 17:15:00 -0400
Ray;
Thanks, I thought those little tabs might be good for that purpose
(block of wood) but in after thought you are correct articulated pliers
perhaps. Seems the gasket is the problem, I'll have to see about getting
a new one. Being I'll have to drain the tank to replace I thought of
removal just to be on the safe side regarding the welding. Sorry if I
offended anyone with the block of 2x4 thought. Might make for a
DPO!!!!!!! :-)
You mention heavy fiber gasket material. Can I make one of these? Or do
I have to order? Time is my main interest. I'd hate to have to tell my
body guy "No you can't take the car!!!" if he happens to come looking
next week. What type of grease do I use? Just the same regular stuff
that's in my gun for grease nipples?

Thanks again & Safety Fast
Andy Proudfoot 77B
Gander. Nfld
 ----------
From: Ray Whitley

> I am giong to try tightening the sending unit nut with a hammer and
> piece of 2x4. I f this is unsuccessful

Mr. P:

AAAGH! Tighten the sender nut with a big wrench or a pair of articulated
pliers. If you start hitting it, the chances are you'll make matters
wiorse,
not better.

If I were you, I'd remove the sender and treat it to a new gasket in
heavy
fiber gasket material, then grease the said gasket and re-tighten it
firmly.

Ray Whitley