Heads

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Heads
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:02:54 EDT
<<Quick question, I'm away from my books for a couple of days - Is there any
difference between the cylinder heads on a MGA 1500 and an MGA 1600 Mk1.
Obviously there is a bore size difference, but excuse my ignorance - does
that translate through to the Cylinder head combustion space? I guess the two
heads are the same thickness yes? ie only the 1600MK2 had a different
(higher) compression ratio..
I'm asking because I have the chance to buy a couple of 1500 heads quite
cheaply, one of them rebuilt.>>

The early 1500 had some restrictions in the passages that were fixed shortly
afterwards resulting in the boost from 68 to 72 bhp rating. After that they
didn't change through the 1600.
The 1622 head had bigger valves, a different chamber size, and flat top
pistons.
Be careful that the heads you are buying are actually MG heads - if they are
Austin, they will likely be the old 68 horse spec. It is easy to make Austin
heads into MG heads - first buy a can or red engine paint......

Bill S.