Re: rallys and rally computers

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Subject: Re: rallys and rally computers
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:47:15 -0600
I enjoy rallys, but I have a good navigator.  She is competitive, good with
maps, and good with numbers.  There are a lot of different kinds of rallys,
mostly TSD (time speed distance).  You don't need a computer, and as someone
else mentioned, it can bump you up into a more difficult class of
competition.  The hardest rallys (in my opinion) are the gimick (sp?)
rallys, where you have to answer a question correctly in order to figure out
the next direction.  The Monte Carlo style is fairly easy if you are paying
close attention.  And the run of the mill rally with average speeds and
directions can be a challenge for the navigator and driver alike.  If you
want to win, it can take a lot of work.  If you are in it to have fun, and
maybe get lucky and win then don't hesitate to enter.  You do need a
navigator though.

On another rally note:  I heard there is a rally scheduled in July to go up
through Yellowstone.  Anyone got more information on that one???

Phil Bates
2 time Rallye Glenwood Springs winner of Novice class (which I attribute
solely to my navigator - Debbie Rubel).